Chemical Forensic Investigations Related to Chemical Consumer Products
- Potentially harmful contaminants and/or alleged adulterants present in various consumer products including: shaving lotions, facial cosmetics, eye drops, and other consumables.
- Volatile air constituents from commercial products or activities/operations containing hazardous or toxic chemicals and the potential (or lack of potential) for human over-exposure.
- The presence or absence of harmful and/or dangerous chemical components in various consumer or commercial products, and/or products with inadequate warning labels, and/or MSDS/SDS information; inadequate hazard warning labels related to the mixing of incompatible products and /or lack of warning for reasonably foreseeable improper storage, mishandling, or misuse of the product.
- Chemical accidents and/or personal injury resulting from the use of consumer or commercial products due to inadequate or inconsistent hazardous warnings on labels and/or Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Investigation and documentation of applicable consumer complaints filed with manufacturers, distributors, retailers, or the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and/or Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Search CPSC and FDA databases related to cases of inadequate hazard warning labels or instructions for application, safe handling, and/or overexposure risks related to product use or application.
- Manufacturer’s plaster of Paris splint materials and the chemical composition/physical distribution of accelerators, or other chemicals causing localized rapid set times, the release of exothermic heat, and the potential risk for skin burns and lesions.
- The most probable causes for malodorous sulfide gases released from gypsum wallboard installed in a residence. Demonstration through chemical sampling and analysis that odors were caused by the China wallboard syndrome – wallboard manufactured in China from gypsum contaminated with microorganisms capable of converting sulfates in gypsum to a potently odorous hydrogen sulfide gas.
- Recognition and quantification of chemical hazards and risk assessment for overexposure (or lack of overexposure) for a variety of chemical compounds present in consumer/commercial products. Evaluation of possible volatile air contaminants released during use of these products.
Gerard Macri & Associates provide Scientific / Chemical Forensic Investigations, Examination/Analysis of Chemical Forensic Evidence, Analysis and Reconstruction of Chemical Reactions, Determination of Most Likely Chemical Reaction Products, Hazardous Chemical Reactions and Incompatible Chemical Mixtures, Causation of Chemical Fires, Explosions, and Exothermic Reactions, as well as Estimation of Chemical Airborne Concentrations.
We also help with Chemical Overexposure from Consumer Products, Injury from Chemical Consumer Products, Chemical Product Defects and Manufacturer Liability, Chemical Characterization of Unknown Materials, Investigation of Soil, Groundwater, and Storm Water Contamination, Compliance with/Violations of Federal EPA and State Environmental Regulations.